This month’s blog will focus on our Annual Conference, which again was a great success. With over 180 attendees, it was one of the largest, with attendees from around the state and country! Of course, with a backdrop of the Broadmoor Resort, the setting is very hard to beat. Here is a brief overview:
- We started Thursday afternoon with our Annual Members Meetings for both associations. In these important meetings, we approved the 2024 Budgets, and voted in Board Members and Officers. I am pleased to report that Brad Fancher will remain President of CRMCA for another year. On the CSSGA side, Mark Gardner has completed a 2-year term and transitioned out of the president’s role. He has done a fantastic job leading our group forward and I thank Mark for his dedication to the industry. With this change, Matt Noteboom has assumed the President role after serving on the board for many years. I look forward to working with Matt during his term.
- The evening was concluded with a great networking event, allowing members to interact and discuss industry related issues with producers, vendors and consultants. Always great interaction during these sessions.
- Friday was a full day of events, and after our association updates, our great friend and industry partner, Tony Milo (President of the Colorado Contractors Association) provided an update on key factors impacting the state in 2023, and an outlook on the year ahead. Always insightful and I thank Tony for sharing this information.
- Our 6 Breakout sessions that followed were some of the best yet. Our speakers included members of the National Ready Mixed Concrete Association, a CSU professor, experts in Artificial Intelligence, Risk Management, and Educational Outreach. Reach out to our office if there is more info or follow up needed from these sessions.
- Next, our luncheon speaker was a gentleman by the name of Mike Hess, Executive Director, Blind Institute of Technology. His lessons on challenging ourselves to view individuals with disabilities from a different perspective, was extremely insightful.
- The Awards Luncheon never disappoints, and this year was no exception. We were able to recognize the best of the best regarding all aspects of the aggregate and concrete industries. This included Safety, Technical, Industry Outreach, Reclamation, Driving Skills, and others. Congrates to all those recognized.
- The conference ended with our President’s Banquet, gavel exchange, guest speaker and silent auction. This year, 4-time Olympian Ruben Gonzalez spoke of his challenges, and inspiration to others to persevere when times are challenging, and obstacles seem overwhelming. I personally enjoyed and took inspiration from his lifelong lessons.
Thank you for all who participated, sponsored, and contributed to the silent auction. Without their support, none of this happens. I also need to thank our dedicated staff of Emma Dolan, JT Mesite and Nicole Aganon for not only making this event a success, but for what happens day in and day out with CSSGA and CRMCA. Emma was in charge of the entire event, and her forward thinking and leadership was obvious in keeping everything flowing smoothly and on track. Thank you Emma. Great work!
Todd R. Ohlheiser
Colorado Stone, Sand & Gravel Association (CSSGA)
Colorado Ready Mixed Concrete Association (CRMCA)